Tuesday 17 July 2012

Tamari Almonds......

The other week I bought my hubby some Tamari Almonds as a "treat" ..... 100g for $5 ..... yep thats right $50 a kilo! He demolished them in 2 minutes! Which got me thinking....why should these delicious and healthy snacks be a "treat"....why can't I make them myself so they are not frightfully expensive! So off to the kitchen I went....after my first attempt of burning them to a crisp...this second attempt is perfect!


Tamari Almonds

2 cups raw almonds (approx 300g)
1/4 cup Tamari Sauce (wheat free soy sauce)
Optional:
pinch of salt and cayenne pepper

Preheat oven to 140oC

Line a large tray with baking paper.
In a small bowl place all the ingredients, mix well and allow to stand for 10 minutes.


Place Almonds onto the lined tray (spread them out to one layer)


Cook for 10 minutes, mix well and cook for another 10 minutes.
(Be careful not to over cook them as they will burn easily - speaking from experience!)

DO NOT DO THIS!

They will also get harder as they cool down....so keep an eye on them.....and don't be afraid to adjust the timing to suit your oven.

My calculations for this recipes:
Almonds = $16 per kg = $1.60 per 100g
2 cups used in this recipe = approx 300g = $4.80

Tamari = $7 (get approx 4 lots from this) = $1.75 per serve

SO..... $4.80 for almonds and $1.75 for Tamari = $6.55 for 300g
COMPARED to shop bought 300g would have cost me $15

Hubby enjoyed these after dinner with his glass of Red Wine....

I am happy with taking the time each week to throw these together, save a few dollars and have a happy hubby and kids that one of their favourites "treats" can now be eaten more often!

I hope you enjoy them also!

Take Care of You,
Coll x


No comments:

Post a Comment