Sunday 22 July 2012

"Super Mum" Sue Kirkland....

Good Morning and HAPPY MONDAY! I hope the start of the week for you is bright and sunny and I also hope this finds you happy and healthy! As another week comes around, so does the opportunity for me to interview another "Super Mum" ..... this is something I have been doing weekly and sharing with you every Monday....these are "Super Mums" in many ways but as I have mentioned before, these are "every day" Mums just like US! I love speaking to these women and learning so much about them, I love that they make me smile, they warm my heart and they inspire me......I have had the honour this week of interviewing a very dear friend of mine. I have only known this Mum of 3 for a short time, however, you know instantly when meeting her that her heart is as true as they come.


“Sue Kirkland”

·         Tell us a little bit about you and your family?

“Super Mum” is not a title that I feel comfortable using to describe myself, I see myself more as an average person journeying through life while juggling the demands of being a working mum. I live with my hubby of 20 years and my 3 children (14, 11 and 9 yrs) and I work part time as an Occupational Therapist (OT) as well as teaching casually within the industry. As an OT, I assist people with their rehabilitation needs following an injury or disability and I enjoy assisting these people work through barriers to improve their independence, quality of life and achieve their goals.

No one has food allergies in our house, (although some have claimed to be allergic to green vegetables in the past!). We’ve always tried to eat a variety of fresh food made from the home kitchen, but have enjoyed trying new recipes from Cut out the Crap books despite not having to due to allergies.

·         What one ingredient can you not live without and why?

Is dark chocolate an ingredient? Good quality dark chocolate has to be the best treat.

·         If you had half an hour to cook dinner and realized you didn’t have anything planned, what would you cook?

If I had chicken breast, it would be a baked crumbed chicken with whatever vegetables were on hand. If nothing in the freezer, then I usually keep a tin of salmon in the pantry and I would cook salmon rissoles or a frittata.

·         What is once piece of advice you can pass on to other busy mums?
Each season in our lives brings different challenges and things to keep us busy. I had the 3 kids at home for 1 year when they were little and it felt super busy, but now that they are grown up some more, life can still be busy but with different challenges. As others have written before me, take the time out for yourself as well as with your family frequently to recharge and enjoy the season you’re in. It doesn’t need to be a whole day out all the time, it can be as easy as the cup of tea in the sunny corner, or exploring the different coloured shells on the beach together. I think it can be the modern day trap to have our own and our family’s week fully booked up with activities and things to do all the time. I must confess I need to take my own advice!
Sue enjoying a moment a cuppa in her "sunny corner"

·         If you could have dinner with any 3 people in the world, who would it be and why?
I’m not a big celebrity follower, so I would be more inclined to have 3 friends that I can laugh with and enjoy great conversation and great food.
But I would have someone to cook the meal for us, nothing too fancy but with great taste, maybe someone like Curtis Stone. I’m presently enjoying laughing at Hamish and Andy with my eldest as they are very silly; I think they would be fun to have for dinner. I would balance this out with someone inspirational in their Christian faith and life, such as Dr Catherine Hamlin would has worked for the obstetric health of women in Ethiopia.
·         The last few years you have been confronted with significant health challenges. Would you mind sharing your story with others?

In 2009 (the year I turned 40) I discovered a lump in my breast. Initially I was concerned but not terrified as I had no family history of cancer and I had a reasonably healthy diet and was exercising more than I had in several years – it would be OK. My husband had just finished 4 years of part time university study, while working full time and we had a short holiday already booked up the coast, so we went and enjoyed it. On my return I went to my GP and she thought it may be just a cyst but sent me off for the tests to be sure. After the scans and a biopsy, it was confirmed as breast cancer. Even at this stage I was still feeling pragmatic about it (OK, tell me what I need to do and let’s get rid of it). I had the lump removed soon after, but then received the results that it had spread into the lymph node which meant another lot of surgery and chemotherapy treatment. At this point I think the seriousness of it all hit home to me and the family and I moved past the denial stage. I have a strong Christian faith and believed that no matter what I was to face on this journey that God was there with me to provide me with the strength and support to get through it, but that’s not to say that there weren’t still plenty of tears and struggles.

So 2010 was spent having 6 months of chemotherapy followed by a course of radiation therapy. I felt unwell and tired a lot of the time but I had wonderful support from family, friends and others I didn’t really know so well and we made it through. As a parent you don’t want your kids to be anxious about your own health, so we tried to put the treatment into a positive light to the kids and aimed to keep their lives as normal as we could. They had to get used to my appearance being different and we talked through their own feelings and concerns as well. Sometimes awful things just happen, but with cancer an increasing disease it does make you question the effect of our modern day lifestyles and diet can have on our overall health.

I’m almost 3 years post diagnosis and I’m still adjusting to the changes my body has as a result of the treatment, but I’m still here and living well. I don’t find myself dwelling on the “What if it comes back” question, as I can’t fully control this and my life and my family’s lives are in God’s hands. Some people turn their lives around after cancer and take a whole new direction, but for me life has returned to the juggle of a working mum caring for the family, aiming to eat healthy, exercise regularly but taking the time to enjoy life’s big and small moments more and trying not to worry over the small stuff.
Relay for life walk. Sue and her team of Carers.

Sue and her hubby Russell

A "Super Mum" in my eyes that's for sure! I hope this touched your heart as it did mine....
Please don't forget to leave a comment, send me an email (info@cutoutthecrap.com.au) or pop by and say HI on Facebook (www.facebook.com/cutoutthecrap) and let Sue know just how amazing she is!

Wishing you a truly fantastic week....

Take Care of You,
Collette x

No comments:

Post a Comment